Summary: Alarming GI symptoms, such as stomach pain, changes in bowel habits, or unexplained weight loss, could be a sign of a GI disease.
Troublesome symptoms, like abdominal pain, frequent diarrhea, or unintentional weight loss, can be more than just an inconvenience. In the event you notice ongoing indications of poor digestive health, you could be experiencing a concerning gastrointestinal problem. Don’t neglect the symptoms of poor GI health. Should you face symptoms that are different, like a change in bowel movements or food cravings, discuss it with an expert gastroenterology specialist in Jackson, MS. By partnering with a physician at GI Associates & Endoscopy Center, you can learn about conditions involving your gastrointestinal tract and find out how to enhance your overall quality of life.
What are common symptoms of an unhealthy gut?
It's not uncommon to get the occasional stomach ache or have a bout of heartburn at times. Frequent issues with gastrointestinal concerns might signal that something is impacting your gastrointestinal health. Should you have any of the following signs or symptoms frequently, it could be a result of poor gut health:
- Mood changes: Anxiety and depression may be a result of poor gastrointestinal health.
- Change in stool: If there is a difference in the color or consistency of your stool, such as if you have loose or light-colored stools, then it might be time to investigate with a doctor.
- Skin allergies/irritations: Inflammatory skin concerns, including eczema, acne, and psoriasis, have been connected to gut health.
- Autoimmune conditions: An imbalance in digestive bacteria can initiate issues with autoimmune diseases.
- Migraines: Severe headaches might be an indication that a problem is occurring in the gastrointestinal system, especially if the headaches are accompanied by nausea or vomiting.
- Unexplained weight changes: An unexplained, sudden gain or loss in weight might indicate that your body is struggling to eliminate waste, store fat, or absorb nutrients.
- Food cravings: Yearnings for certain foods, like sugar, might be a sign of nutritional deficiency or imbalanced gut bacteria.
- Fatigue: Feeling exhausted on a consistent basis could be related to an issue with your digestive tract's ability to absorb nutrients.
- Stomach discomfort: Frequent gas, bloating, or constipation could signal that your gastrointestinal tract is having trouble breaking down food and getting rid of waste products.
If you notice any of the signs or symptoms listed above, or any other symptoms of concern, like repetitive acid reflux or bloody stools, please get in touch with one of our gastrointestinal specialists in Jackson, MS to have your gastrointestinal health evaluated.
What conditions can cause poor gut health?
The symptoms or issues you experience may be a sign of a concerning GI system condition. A few of the conditions that can lead to the signs and symptoms listed above are:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Diseases such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease trigger inflammation in the digestive system.
- Cancer: Cancer in the GI tract, like colon or rectal cancer and stomach cancer, can result in significant problems in the digestive system.
- Celiac disease: The manner in which the body's immune system reacts to gluten causes damage to the small bowel.
How can I improve my gut health?
Although it is vital to adopt a healthy lifestyle, you should still talk with a medical practitioner if you are having symptoms indicating an unhealthy gut. A GI Associates & Endoscopy Center specialist will be able to determine if a more concerning issue needs to be evaluated or if any lifestyle modifications can help you elevate your digestive health. The following actions might be recommended by your doctor:
- Eat more fiber
- Drink plenty of water
- Exercise regularly
- Stop smoking
- Monitor for food intolerances
- Include probiotics in your diet
- Get 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night
Find help for poor GI health in Jackson, MS
If you find yourself dealing with symptoms of an unhealthy gut, it might be a sign of an underlying health problem. Don’t overlook the indications your body is providing through stomach discomfort, yearnings for certain foods, and undesired changes in your weight. In order to identify and understand any digestive disorders, you should meet with a GI physician in Jackson, MS. To find an expert gastroenterologist near you, reach out to GI Associates & Endoscopy Center. When you visit our team, you can receive patient-driven services to help you enhance and manage your GI wellness which, in turn, could help you enjoy an elevated quality of life.