October 1, Breast Cancer Awareness Month kicks off - what has that to do with Gi Associates?
Both colon and breast cancers share risk factors:
- Age - as we get older our risk for both types of cancers increase
- Weight - being obese raises the risk of developing both types of cancers
- Inactivity - regular exercise can help decrease the development of both types of cancers
- Race - African Americans have a higher risk of developing both types of cancers
- Family History - If you have either type of cancers in a first degree family member (parent, sibling, child) your risk rises for developing that particular type of cancer.
If you are 50 years of age or older, live in the central Mississippi area, and have never had a screening colonoscopy, now is the time! You can request an appointment.